What are we looking for
We don’t expect that you come into the program with all the knowledge and skills necessary. That is something we will teach you and help you develop over the course of the program. However, we’re looking for students passionate about Finance and the Capital Markets. Because we are running an actual fund with many moving parts and much at stake, we require a commitment for the full program. Many students, will note that this also requires between 15-20 hours a week, so as a candidate, you must be able to prioritize and manage your time effectively to be able to handle this. On top of all this, we’re looking for students that can fit into the culture, add value to the fund, commit the necessary time, be motivated to succeed in finance, and acquire the knowledge in investments and finance.
We recommend students attend all the open workshops during their first and second year. Students apply to the CMP at the end of their second year. The recruitment process will be very competitive and selective. A target of 10 students will be selected each year based on qualification, skills, and need.
You must meet the minimum requirements below and complete the application process to be considered for an interview.
- Have completed the first‑ and second-year common core courses for your program option;
- Have a CGPA of 6.5 or higher;
- Have a B+ in the Financial Management course (ADM 2350)
- Be available on Wednesday evenings from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Be willing to dedicate an average of 15 to 20 hours per week which can include (but is not limited to) workshops, meetings, and email exchanges with mentors and professionals; there will be no time requirement during exam periods and holidays;
- Be willing to travel to Toronto once during the fall term reading week;
- Be fluent in English; bilingualism will be considered an asset;
- Have a willingness to learn and to be an ambassador of the Telfer School of Management;
- Will need to maintain full-time student status throughout the duration of the Program.
Note: Due to the restructuring of the program, 2018-2019 is a transition year. Therefore, only 6 students will be admitted to complete the 15 person cohort. However, in 2019-2020, we will be admitting a full 15 person cohort.
- Complete the application form. Be sure to submit a copy of your resumé, cover letter and unofficial transcript by deadline of Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 4 p.m.
- Revision of applications by CMP Program Manager and Financial Research and Learning Lab Manager and invitation to interview will be sent on Thursday, September 6, 2018
- Interviews will be held on Friday, September 7, 2018. Only 6 students will be selected to complete the 2018-19 cohort. We would like to thank every candidate for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Selection of students
- A selection committee will be formed each year for application review and interviews
- All applications will be reviewed by the CMP Program Manager and the Fund Director.
- The top students based on applications will be selected to continue to the interview rounds